Jeffrey M Barnes is a founding partner of our firm. Jeff focuses primarily in the areas of family law, business and real estate litigation. Jeff’s deep understanding of finance and international business complements his extensive legal experience, providing a proven advantage to his clients. Jeff combines his tenacious litigation skills with methodical strategy and business-minded analysis to provide comprehensive representation to his clients.
Jeff has counseled his clients on a number of complex issues including:
- Interstate child custody matters involving the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) OCGA § 19-9-40 et seq.;
- International child custody matters related to the Hague Convention of the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction and International Child Abduction Remedies Act (ICARA) 42 USCA § 11601;
- Divorce actions involving significant assets located both domestically and in foreign countries;
- Divorce actions requiring the appointment of a court-appointed receiver to manage and protect marital assets until equitable division of property between the parties has been accomplished, either by settlement or trial;
- Child custody/visitation/parenting time matters involving habitual contempt of court by the primary custodial parent;
- Litigation against many of the nation’s largest lending institutions for egregious acts such as a bank knowingly wrongfully foreclosing on and disposing a homeowner from his home only to later sue the homeowner to attempt to correct the bank’s own mistakes;
- Real estate fraud matters involving various types of real estate investment schemes, “loan assistance programs” and Ponzi schemes.
Jeff secured the top real estate verdict in Georgia in 2009. The case involved an unscrupulous mortgage broker and closing attorney who committed mortgage fraud to the extreme detriment of our client. At the jury trial Jeff secured not only a verdict for our client’s actual damages, but a substantial punitive damages award as well.
Jeff is an avid traveler and self-defined “collector of experiences.” Jeff’s travels and his desire to enjoy uncommon experiences have led him to run with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain; celebrate Carnival in Colombia, tour Europe and Central America extensively, explore Africa, and attend various major sporting events including Super Bowls, the Kentucky Derby, and NCAA Final Four.
Temple University School of Law
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court
Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- All Georgia Courts